Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Palmer Museum of Art


The piece I chose to write my blog about was the painting done by Louis Lang called, Trimming the Christmas Tree. This piece was painted in the mid to late 1860's and depicts the tradition of a family decorating the Christmas tree. Lang's painting comments on the idea of the mother and daughter preparing for Christmas by decorating. I think since Lang chose to only show a mother and her daughter in the piece that it goes along with the idea of women always do the decorating for holidays. Especially, in that era when women were homemakers and daughters were taught at young age household chores and things to know in order to raise a family.

Another reason why I chose this piece to write about was because as soon as i looked at it it made me think back to decorating the tree with my mother. The piece makes me think about Christmas and also look forward to the upcoming holiday. I am able to take myself back to the times of when I was a child and always wanted to decorate the tree. When I was a little girl decorating was the highlight of the Christmas Season for me. I could not wait for when my Mom would ask me to help her because I felt as if my help was bringing me closer to my mother.

The artist of the painting is Louis Lang who was born in the year 1814 and died in 1893. He arrived in the United States in 1838 where he had a studio in Philadelphia for several years. He has painted many other pieces and his father was also a great painter. Before his death in 1893 Lang was elected a National Academician in 1852 and was also a member of the Artist's Fund Society.
I think overall Lang is trying to depict a mother and daughter bonding together by getting ready for Christmas. He is showing how families of that era who celebrated Christmas would prepare for the holiday. I think that he has done a good job with showing how it was back then because he shows detail in the house decor and also how the women are dressed.

My overall experience at the Palmer was a good one. I enjoy going to different museums and seeing what different places have to offer. Also, it was my first time at this art museum; however i have been to other museums in the states I use to live in or have visited. I can see myself visiting again with my mother to show her the painting that inspired me and because she too enjoys art.

2 comments:

  1. I did not take a moment to admire this piece and learn more about it myself while at the museum so I am glad that I got to see it on your blog and read your views on it. Similar to what you said, this piece makes me even more excited for Christmas to come and reminds me of when my mom, sister and I decorate our tree every year. Just like Louis Lang is trying to depict in his work, it is clearly a time of family bonding. I enjoy the coloring in this piece of art the most because it gives it a comforting feel overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I never saw this piece in person but from reading your analysis and looking at your posted picture I automatically thought of Christmas. I agree with your interpretation and would also like to add a thought of my own. This painting reminded me of tradition and how tradition doesn't change. Every year, almost all people who celebrate Christmas, decorate their tree as a family. The painting brings about a feeling of tradition, family, and holiday fun.

    ReplyDelete