Friday, October 12, 2012

Relive the BEST seven years of your college Education


For my movie review I chose a movie that I believe depicts college life the best and can be classified as the best college movie! The movie I chose was National Lampoon's Animal House directed by John Landis which came out in 1978. Animal House has a star studded cast such as John Belushi, Tim Hulce, Kevin Bacon and finally Karen Allen.

The reason Animal House is the best college movie is because it is humorous to the viewer and also can be easily compared to when the viewer went to college no matter what decade. I say this because the scenes of college parties, homecoming parades and grades on midterms can apply to any student who went to college.

Animal House tells the story of two fraternities Delta Tau Chi and Omega Theta Phi who are have been in a rivalry for several years. Once rushing begins the old rivalry starts up between the two; and with Dean Wormer wanting to get rid of Delta, due to their wild behavior, he is able to use Omega as a pawn in his plan to eliminate Delta forever.

Some of the relatable scenes depicted in this film portrayed the typical fraternity party and life at a university: the idea of trying to balance girls, alcohol and school. Also, the film showed another group of students present in campus life, which were the ROTC members. The ROTC scenes from marching in the parade to being on campus in uniform were very accurate in my opinion since I am a member of the Penn State NROTC program. Finally, humor came into play in this movie. I loved the final scene of the homecoming parade or just the Deltas being Deltas.

This movie is not made for a younger audience so viewer discretion is advised, but a typical college student looking for a good laugh or a person looking to reminisce on their glory days in college will love this movie!

Toga! Toga!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see this movie over during the film festival, but i did see it a couple days later for the first time and I thought it was a very funny depiction of fraternity life in college. I really like your explanation of the movie, and I thought it was funny how you included the last paragraph during your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen or heard of this movie but the way you described it seems spot on. I think there are still some rivalries between frats. It's interesting that this movie can still be compared to the current day college life being that it came out in 1978.

    ReplyDelete